Friday, November 7, 2008

I Was a Skeptic at First, But These Miracles Work

I'm going to fulfill all of my deep, dark, rockist fantasies tonight, when I go see the Hold Steady and the Drive-By Truckers at Terminal 5. At other shows on the tour, they've been doing a joint encore, and they've reportedly done covers of Jim Carroll's "People Who Died"  and "Burnin' For You" by Blue Oyster Cult. Either of these would be fine, but I'm holding out hope for "Rockin' in the Free World," because, duh. 

For the first time since I college, I just made a list of all the records I want to buy. I remember when I used to carry one around all the time, badly creased from being in my wallet for so long, and covered in illegible scribbling -- things like, "Pavement -- Watery something?" or, my personal favorite, "Dylan -- Ten of Swords," as if I was just going to stumble upon the $1,000 collector's gem at the local Tower Records or something. Idiot. Anyway, like I said, I just made another list, but this time it's in an impeccably designed Word document, which I emailed to myself so I can always have it on my iPhone. I'm supposed to be mourning the loss of some sort of innocence, I think, but I absolutely am not. 


No comments: